We sat down with our Vendor of the Month, Elan Artists, for a helpful tip session. We wanted to know what couples need to consider when choosing their wedding entertainment. Here’s what they had to say…
- Find a knowledgeable vendor that you trust, and let them know what kind of budget you’re working with for wedding entertainment. Whether the sky is the limit or your budget is bare bones, that information will allow your music vendor to personalize their recommendations and make suggestions in the right price range.
- Consider a mix of live and recorded music. This works well at all budget levels! For example, a mid-range budget might be best served with a string trio for the ceremony, a solo guitarist for the cocktail hour, and a DJ for the reception. A higher budget might include a full dance band for the 4 hour reception, and then rather than extending the band into overtime, shift gears to a DJ for the after party. Sky’s the limit? Add an amazing boutique jazz band for cocktail hour.
- If you’re not familiar with classical music, and stumped by choosing your ceremony selections, don’t worry! I recommend choosing the bridal processional first, and then building the rest of your ceremony selections around that. You probably have more of an opinion about his than you might realize. For example, do you want the traditional processional (Bridal Chorus by Wagner, “Here Comes the Bride”)? Most brides have a strong opinion about this one way or another! Try walking around your living room imagining walking down the aisle to this music—how does it feel? Do you want to make a grand entrance, or a more romantic and subtle one?
- There are exceptions to this rule, but for the most part it’s best to let your musical friends & family members enjoy themselves as guests (rather than say, asking Aunt Bea to sing at your ceremony).
- When you or your wedding planner create your timeline for the reception, please be sure to include any announcements that you’d like the band or DJ to make, together with phonetic pronunciations for the names of those in your family and bridal party. This will really help the evening go smoothly!